For upper case letters that work well with this alphabet, click here for Alphabet 05 "Flourishes" Upper Case.
In the Photograph:
The free cross stitch alphabet, "Alphabet 04," is stitched on 18-count Aida over two threads. I used DMC floss:
- 2 strands for backstitches
- 2 strands for French knots
Description: Line letters, script/italic
- Lower Case Letters
- (Use Alphabet 05 for Upper Case Letters)
- The lower case letters without ascenders or descenders (ex: a, c, o) are 3 stitches high.
- The lower case letters with only ascenders (ex: b, d, h) or only descenders (ex: g, p, y) are 6 stitches high.
- The lower case "f", with a descender and a dot above, is 9 1/2 stitches high.
- (The majority of upper case letters in Alphabet 05 are 6 stitches high.)
These letters have varying widths. When possible, both wide and narrow versions of some letters are provided. These should help you squeeze text into shorter lines or expand into longer ones.
Learn any unfamiliar stitches by clicking on the "How To..." button on the left menu or on the above links.
Change the floss color to reflect your tastes and to coordinate with the rest of your project. Use the same number of strands that you are using throughout the rest of your cross stitch pattern.
How to Fit Text into a Design:
To learn how to select and adapt cross stitch alphabets, click on the "Alphabets" button on the left menu. Read the illustrated, detailed description, "The 123's of the Counted Cross Stitch Alphabet" to learn how to select and adapt cross stitch alphabets.
Click here for a printable cross stitch pattern for the "Flourishes" alphabet.
A new window will open so you can also keep your place here.
Return from Free Cross Stitch Alphabet 04 to Free Cross Stitch Alphabet Patterns
Return from Free Cross Stitch Alphabet 04 to Better Cross Stitch Patterns Home Page